For all of your programming needs and wants.

GM8 - What are you looking forward to?

SoulRed12

GM8 - What are you looking forward to?

Post by SoulRed12 on 11/10/2009, 9:16 pm

I'm curious what everybody's looking forward to in GM8. Or are you even going to use it (since most of us will likely have to re-purchase a license)?

I'm not getting it because I haven't even used 7 in months, but what about you guys?
    Mars

Re: GM8 - What are you looking forward to?

Post by Mars on 11/10/2009, 9:21 pm

I don't even know what comes in the new version. Personally I won't care either unless I'm getting the free upgrade, but I don't know what the cut-off is for that so...
    John
    Admin
    Admin

Post by John on 11/10/2009, 9:47 pm

I'm keeping 7 Pro. I'm broke right now (I don't care how cheap they say it is, it doesn't make my $0 any better).

Besides, I just KNOW there's going to be all sorts of problems with the new registering system. No thanks, I'll stay safe. I'm happy with 7 for now.

(I'm going to move this because it's more about the program than the language itself...)

Post by SoulRed12 on 11/10/2009, 10:12 pm

Oops, sorry, thought I was in the game programming forum. My fault.

Anyways, yeah, a lot of people on the glog comments were mentioning that they too were fearing the new registration system. It's funny though, with GM7 registration, I personally didn't have any problems whatsoever...even when I had to re-enter the key when I bought my vista PC, it worked fine. And I actually bought the program long ago before there was every any mention of yoyogames...even before registering had any benefit, in fact (other than removing a nag screen) and it still worked fine for me every version afterwards.

I guess I was just one of the really lucky ones =/
    John
    Admin
    Admin

Post by John on 11/10/2009, 10:14 pm

You were. I was too. Just not as lucky...

My problem lasted a week. Then I found out that it was my firewall. XD

Post by SoulRed12 on 11/12/2009, 7:21 pm

John wrote:You were. I was too. Just not as lucky...

My problem lasted a week. Then I found out that it was my firewall. XD

Hehe. I'm actually looking forward to hearing about whether they fix the registration problems.

Oh yeah, has anybody heard anything about GM8's compatibility with Windows 7?

Vivi_IX
    Stranger
    Stranger

Post by Vivi_IX on 11/13/2009, 2:11 am

I'm looking forward to the high-quility icons (a.k.a NORMAL icons) and the full alpha compatability with images. Everything else, I'm not too impressed with. I'll probably still develop on GM7 and then just transfer it to GM8 so I can finally use a professional icon.

Lucky me, I bought GM7 with the free upgrade deal.
    dixee

Post by dixee on 11/14/2009, 2:32 am

Tale told to me was that it runs games more efficiently. If after it has sold to some of the people that will buy it anyway, and they can confirm this (no, I'm not going to test out the release candidate) then I will dish out the dough. I've got a steady job, and although I don't plan on making super intense games, lowering the number of cycles run is always good.

Hey... I just had a thought. If it's the runner that's getting more efficient, and Instant Play works such that it downloads the game sans runner, would they update the instant play so that it mimics the new runner? And, then, if so, would all of the old games hosted on the site run just as well too? That would be super awesome if they did.

Post by Whitepath on 11/14/2009, 11:20 am

@ Dixee. I believe thats whats going to happen. But who knows, they could either get really lazy, or just tell us off for complaining.

I'm personelly looking forword to the image editor. Every sprite I've ever created was constructed in GM 7's image editor. I heard this new one is pretty NOICE. Lol, so I'm real excited about that. Plus, I didnt get a chance to download the beta Sad
    dixee

Post by dixee on 11/14/2009, 1:12 pm

I had a chance to use the new image editor. It's a lot better for your average sprite, it has alpha support, and it's got a few other things that help a lot. However, anti-aliasing for images drawn at semi-transparency doesn't exactly work as expected in all cases, which led to being able to draw some stuff that was pretty ugly. Also, its focus seems to have shifted, and I think it may be harder now to use for retro looking sprites, but that could be wrong. All in all, it's pretty nifty.
    I think the only reason I'm complaining about it is because I don't actually use it for 'normal' sprites. Only for collision masks and retro art. And, maybe my expectations were addled from using Illustrator too much, and it works the way it should for most people. So, I won't say any more on the subject.

As far as the integrated inclusion of alpha transparency in all of the images, I'm just hoping that it doesn't end up wasting space for the images that don't use transparency (boxes, for example). And, in games where you use little to no transparency, it seems like an awful lot of space would go to waste if all those images also recorded an 'alpha' that was all 100% or 0%. However, I'm confident that Mark will have made it to compress as best he can.

Post by Whitepath on 11/14/2009, 1:41 pm

Oh man, If I had a dime for every time a needed transparency and a BUNCH of alpha-everything... Now I'm real excited. Thanks Dixee, ya big jerk.
    dixee

Post by dixee on 11/14/2009, 1:42 pm

More to look forward to Razz

Admin
    Admin

Post by John on 11/28/2009, 1:28 am

I'm looking forward to an improved payment system...

I know this is EXTREMELY early, but with everything that they've added, if they make a GM9, I wonder what else they'll put... Maybe amazing 3D support. XD

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 11/19/2017, 4:26 am