Coders Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For all of your programming needs and wants.

3 posters

Does anyone else use an Xbox controller for PC games?

dixee
    dixee

Does anyone else use an Xbox controller for PC games? Empty Does anyone else use an Xbox controller for PC games?

Post by dixee 11/20/2009, 4:00 pm

In one of the games I'm working on, I decided it would be fun if you could play it with an Xbox controller. I give the option to use the keyboard instead, for people who don't have an Xbox controller, but it's not quite practical.

Seeing as the Xbox controller has ten buttons, the dpad, two thumbsticks and two triggers, all ergonomically and strategically placed to fit your hands, you have quite a bevy of controls you can have. So, when I map it back to the keyboard, it ends up using this many keys:
    Does anyone else use an Xbox controller for PC games? Ibkeys
    Where green is default or required, and yellow is secondary. Quite a lot.

Now, I actually have it organized pretty well. Arrow keys for movement, Z X C for core functions (attacks, read/use/action), and spacebar (or escape) to pause. The game runs mostly off of those keys, so awkward hand positions and constantly reaching all the way across the keyboard to do certain tasks doesn't really exist. But, it's still a lot.
    A S D and F are buttons to choose a different weapon, but you also have V and B to cycle through them. Then, also, I decided to map 1 2 3 and 4 (both) to A S D F too, in case that was somehow easier to use or remember for some people. Shift and Enter (again, both of each can be used) are used to toggle the map and an assistance tool I've developed (as part of the GUI), so I'm not too worried about them having constant enough usage to warrant a better position.

Now for a barrage of questions. I know that this is a lot of keys, but is it too many? If so, what's your preferred way I go about dealing with it? Should I cut some of the keys, taking out a game function (probably V and B's cycling through the weapons, for a start). Should I be minimalistic, taking out redundant keys (all of the yellow)? Should I put some of it in the pause menu, which will lower the number of keys but change gameplay? Should I utilize combos to reduce the number of keys, or would that just make it more confusing?
    Or, maybe it's hard to tell from the picture and my descriptions thus far whether or not it will end up being too many keys. If I upload a demo, will that help?

I'm well aware that if you are not using a Qwerty keyboard, you'll have a hell of a time trying to play the game. I could implement a way for the player to change the keyboard configuration, but unless there's a large enough group of gamers with one, I don't feel like it'll be worth it.
    To me, the game is easier to play with the Xbox controller. It's currently being developed with that in mind. However, if none of you guys have one, I might just change my mind. So, the real question I have right now is: does anyone else use an Xbox controller on their PC?
    ProgrammingLinguist
    ProgrammingLinguist
    Stranger
    Stranger

Does anyone else use an Xbox controller for PC games? Empty Re: Does anyone else use an Xbox controller for PC games?

Post by ProgrammingLinguist 1/7/2010, 5:00 am

too long didn't read, i have a ps2 style gamepad (usb) and a ps2 style gamepad without the 2 joysticks at the bottom (only has dpad and the rest of the buttons) and is also usb. oh wait i see some easy to read questions. hmm no not at all the xbox and ps2 controllers have too few buttons in my opinion. They each have 10 buttons.

10 is not enough these days for REALLY good games. For example imagine how awesome Street Fighter 4 would be with 12 games? :O yeah it might probably relieve the stress of crazy finger busting action but hey in some games (future games) 12 might not be enough.

For the FRC robot that i helped program we only used 2 joysticks (tankdrive, but later switched to 1 joystick drive because our driver sucks) , 1 trigger button, 3 dials for speed, a switch to turn on it's primary function , and another 3-way switch (middle is normal, up is one function, down is other function) to control that primary function. soo..... joystick let's say is 4 buttons (leftrightupdown) plus trigger, that's 5 total

plus the on-off switch for primary function that's 2 more plus the 3 way that's a total of 10 modes/buttons/switches. oh wait i forgot to add the 3 dials (that control the speed of the primary function) so make that 13. Shocked DAMN we had a lot. And that's when i take out tankdrive mode! lol our original function had 18 modes (if you add another joystick that is 4 buttons plus the trigger to that joystick which is an added 1 ).

Lol i went off track.
    John
    John
    Admin
    Admin

Does anyone else use an Xbox controller for PC games? Empty Re: Does anyone else use an Xbox controller for PC games?

Post by John 1/7/2010, 6:56 pm

too long didn't read

Just because you wrote that I decided not to read your post. Please, be more respectful. If you didn't read it because of its length, don't state that. Also, please refrain from hypocrisy on my forums. Your post is just about as long as hers.
    ProgrammingLinguist
    ProgrammingLinguist
    Stranger
    Stranger

Post by ProgrammingLinguist 1/7/2010, 8:27 pm

sorry dixxie, i should stop being an asshole now. .... that or stop posting so late at night O.o there may be a strong correlation between the two concepts

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 3/28/2024, 7:35 pm